Euro Truck Simulator 1.9 Open Beta available on Steam
It has taken us a lot of fine-tuning, but finally we are very close to releasing the 1.9 update for Euro Truck Simulator 2.
We have spent considerable time in closed beta testing, and we feel the stability of the build is now very solid. That's why we would like to invite everybody in our fanbase for the final check. Hopefully, if things prove solid under such a scrutiny, the final official retail/Steam update may only be hours or at worst days away from us.
We are making the open beta only available on Steam. We know that there might be grumbling about it, but as each additional publicly available patch causes future patches to get bigger and take longer to apply, we try hard to avoid having to release hot-fixes to major game updates.
The 1.9 update is one of the largest patches we have ever worked on, hence the long time to wrap it up. Work on the new vehicle AI code has actually started even before ETS2 was released, some year and a half ago, but we gave it all the time it needed to mature. It replaces the entire traffic AI code with a new system. Its far more flexible, and it is paving the way for yet more improvements in the future (country-specific behavior of traffic lights is a much needed planned feature for the future for example).
We would like to thank everybody actively participating in our closed beta group for help and feedback. We were also fortunate to have one of the beta testers already prepare a little comparison clip showing the changes in the AI, thanks Tomáš!
You will find the 1.9 update in the branch "public_beta" on Steam. Make sure to back up your player profile so that you have a way to revert back to older version of the game if needed. Please use our Message Board to provide technical issues feedback, it allows for better parsing of the info for everybody rather than just blog comments: http://forum.scssoft.com/viewforum.php?f=143. Thanks!
To recap the highlights of the 1.9 patch:
- Brand new traffic car AI system;
- Improved maneuverability, touches to suspension and collision physics (more work planned still);
- Early support for Oculus Rift and gamepad-controlled mouse cursor;
- Improved handling of automatic gearbox (more gears, interaction with cruise control);
- Improved compatibility with semi-broken prefabs used in mods;
- Improved error handling in radio playback.
- Scania Streamline improvements (model, textures, paint jobs, new parts and accessories) - you may need visit truck dealer and re-purchase some parts;
- Volvo FH16 improvements (interior, wipers, shadows);
- Iveco Hi-way improvements (dashboard computer, shadows);
- Paintjobs are properly applied on add-ons in interior views;
- Map improvements.
- V8 engine sounds for Scania R and Scania Streamline.
Add Comment (1)